1.6.07

Great Advertising

I spend a lot of time staring at advertising on my way to and from work, as there's not a whole lot to do on public transit if you're not feeling up to juggling a book or newspaper while desperately trying to hold onto a sheer wall with only your pinky finger. I haven't noticed any fantastic big brand campaigns lately, but I have giggled maniacally at two home-grown campaigns.

1. Enjoy Illinois

Not all of them are quite as funny as the one posted at the bus stop near my office, but they are eye-catching and marvelously creative. The one near my office, however, dissolves me every time:

Okay, I'm not proud that it makes me laugh, but there you go. Stubborn grass stains! The mortal enemy of white squirrels! Come on, that's funny.

2. The Southside Chicago Board of Tourism

This campaign, on the other hand, is hilarious, and if you don't laugh you clearly don't have any sense of humor. "Is the southside in a different time zone? You know, like Michigan is."

Do click around the links at the top of that page to learn the answers to important questions like "What exactly is a parking space?" and "How do I get to the southside?"

I particularly recommend clicking on Refer a Friend and choosing the "I have no friends" option. Very amusing.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

H - I pass by the town of the White Squirrel once every two weeks while ticking. It is also the home of an understaffed state prison. I think the squirrels should be equally worried about that...