31.5.07

I heart RBG

The current Supreme Court makes me cranky. *mumble mumble* partisan decisions *mumble mumble* unbalanced court *mumble mumble* haaaaaaate.

I was very happy, then, to read this article about Ruth Bader Ginsburg. “She is accusing the other side of making political claims, not legal claims.” Damn straight!

I am so pleased that she's making a fuss about it. The partial-birth abortion decision pissed me off mightily ("Precedent? What? Sorry, I must have been in the bathroom when we discussed that in law school."), and I quite enjoyed the scathing dissent. Sure, it's not a Scalia dissent, but the ability to produce that kind of vituperative castigation does not emerge overnight. I have high hopes.

I have very much missed Sandra Day O'Connor's voice on the court, but I am much heartened by this indication of Ginsburg's transformation. Supreme Court steel cage deathmatch? Oh, I hope so.

On a side note, I found the last paragraph of this article regarding the Pay Disparity decision extremely interesting:

In her opinion, Justice Ginsburg invited Congress to overturn the decision, as it did 15 years ago with a series of Supreme Court rulings on civil rights. “Once again, the ball is in Congress’s court,” she said. Within hours, Senator Hillary Rodham Clinton of New York, who is seeking the Democratic nomination, announced her intention to submit such a bill.

No comments: