11.1.08

That's...Pretty True, Actually

In the words of that Clinton adviser: "If you have a social need, you're with Hillary. If you want Obama to be your imaginary hip black friend and you're young and you have no social needs, then he's cool."

Link here.

On a side note, this article (well, blog post) puts the dilemma in very simple and clear terms. I favor Clinton for reasons other than the fact that she's a woman*, but I wonder how much of my conviction is a knee-jerk reaction to the fact that she's a woman, damn it, and we deserve this.

Personally? One day I want the gender of a candidate to be irrelevant, but the reality is that today it's not, and that matters to me. So maybe a good chunk of it is the fuck you, I want to see a woman in that office. Is that...bad? People vote the way they do for all sorts of reasons--don't even try to tell me that Obama's attractiveness isn't giving him a boost--so why not this one?



* Personal to Obama: the message of change is great and all, but have you considered substance? Because I haven't heard anything that's impressed me. No wonder Kerry endorsed you: you're the younger, prettier version of his not-Bush candidacy.

No comments: