10.5.07

Holy Shit

Giuliani just came out with a pro-choice platform. I am SHOCKED.

...[Mr. Giuliani's aides] argued that abortion and other social issues were not as decisive for Republican primary voters in this election, providing Mr. Giuliani with an opportunity to break from a 30-year tradition and run as a Republican nominee who supports abortion rights.

Whoa. I mean, sure, I'm not at all surprised he supports choice privately, but to make it part of his platform is another thing entirely.

Let me preface the following with the statement that, yes, Giuliani is an insane fascist and I would be slightly terrified to have him as our President. However: if this precedent means more Republicans can move further left on social issues I will be wildly happy, and I think Giuliani's fairly awesome for taking a stand. Admittedly he didn't have a whole lot of choice, given the publicly available records that reveal his habitual donations to Planned Parenthood, but still: damn, that takes balls. Well done, Rudy.

I would kind of love to see a Giuliani vs. Clinton race/deathmatch. The craziness would be exceedingly entertaining. Media frenzy!

I think I'm officially rooting for Giuliani to become the Republican nominee, just for the sheer insanity of it all. Go fascism go!

No comments: