31.3.07

Information Gathering, Part the First

The ultimate purpose of this wacky blogging exercise is to stimulate the juices in regards to novel-writing. Below is an excerpt from said novel; believe me when I say it's a very rough draft. It also might help if you've ever read any Dashiell Hammett. This takes place immediately following the previous post.

I asked Mikey about him the next day, when I trusted the big lug to be sober enough to keep his temper in check.

“Nolan? Why’re you asking about him? He’s nothing special.”

“We’re having our party in less than a month and you ask why I’m a little worried about hanging out with cops?”

“Forget it, darling. Nolan hasn’t been a cop for years, and he’s not that type anyway. We’ve got nothing to worry about.”

I let it go. Mikey may have been confident, but there’s a reason I’m brains and he’s brawn. I wasn’t going to get anywhere with him: it was time to throw a few other lines out.

I didn’t make it to Sal’s until early evening, but that was fine since Elbow had started his shift late that day. Elbow’s real name was Tim Clemens, but I had never disturbed the peace enough to find out what had warranted the change. You don’t need a concise history of a man’s trials and tribulations for him to serve you a good cocktail. I sat myself at his bar, in one of the lighter corners, and waited for him to finish serving the drunk four chairs down.

“Sweetcheeks!” he said when he saw me. “Haven’t seen you in days! How’s life treating that pretty face of yours?”

“Pretty good, Elbow. How’s business?”

He made a face as he grabbed a glass to make my usual. “Same as always. Drunks and hopheads and fools who think the world owes them a whiskey and soda and a clap on the back.”

“No captains of industry? I’m shocked. They must have found another bar.”

Elbow laughed, pushing the glass across to me. “The only captain of industry in here is you, darling. I’ve never seen a more hard working dame.”

I took the glass and the opportunity. “Speaking of: I’ve got a character I want to ask you about. This a good time?” I indicated the other drinkers with a tilt of my head.

Elbow waved in their general direction with the towel he was using to wipe off the bar. “If they’re paying attention to anything over here, it’s your legs. Shoot.”

“Last night I met a guy called Lieutenant Nolan. He was drinking at Teeny’s place and seemed to be an old friend of everyone in the room, including Mikey. I’m not disputing his right to drink with whoever he wants, I’m just questioning his timing.”

I got a single raised eyebrow from Elbow, which was impressive. Elbow looks surprised for no man, and only for the most select of women. He reached behind the bar, pulled out a nearly-full box of cigarettes, offered me one, then took one for himself. He lit it, inhaled, and rested it on the ashtray between us.

“Look,” he said after thinking a bit. “I don’t want to cause a panic here. It’s entirely possible that this Nolan character got sick of being a useless chump, quit the force, and took up doing odd jobs to pay the rent. But a couple of months back I heard that the Old Man had hired a pet cop to keep an ear to the ground.”

“Nolan’s not on the force anymore,” I pointed out.

“He wouldn’t need to be. It’d be better if he wasn’t, even. Corrupt cops are a dime a dozen, but a loyal man with the same skills is worth any paycheck. And if this Nolan made Lieutenant he can’t be too much of a chump.”

“I’d rather be dealing with the pigs than the Old Man,” I said, “although neither would be my favorite scenario.” I paused to take a drink. “Mikey trusts him.”

Elbow snorted. “You and I both know Mikey’s not invited to the party for his smarts.”

“Why do you think I’m down here asking you?”

“Aw, sweetheart, I’m hurt. I thought you were here ‘cause you loved my company.”

“That too, Elbow. But I’m serious now: I don’t know what to do about Nolan other than keep an eye on him.”

“I think that’s all we can do. If he’s watching the party for the cops or the Old Man, we’re bound to see him turn up again.”

“You’ll tell the other boys what I told you?”

“Sure thing. You want another drink?”

“No, I’ve got another place I want to try for information.”

Elbow’s grin lit up like fireworks. “You going to see the whores?”

I rolled my eyes. “I’ll see you later, Elbow. Save me a drink.”

“Always, sweetcheeks. You take care now.”

“You too, Elbow.”

No comments: